Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Nation's Capitals

The play on words should be fairly obvious, if you are a hockey fan at least. This site is nothing more than a fan's perspective on the Washington Capitals and all things hockey from guess where.....the nation's capital. Yes, believe it or not there are hockey fans in Washington. The hockey resurgence in Washington is no secret to anyone. (FYI, DC will always be a football town). We can thank a certain Russian for that. But after years of mediocrity, the Caps have rebuilt and now have team that is destined for greatness. Dammit, I just jinxed it.

So why did I all of the sudden decide to blog about the Caps and all things hockey? The reason is that there aren't many things I love more. The next reason is that DC finally has a team worth talking about. I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying that DC is the worst sports town in America. Does this surprise me? No. The mediocrity of DC sports is the product of lousy owners (how are things at Six Flags these days?) and a population that turnsover every election year (did I miss any other reasons?). But things seem to be taking a turn for the better. DC is a city with every professional sport you can think of and yet hockey, yes....hockey is the sport that is taking over. The Caps have taken over the city. Never did I expect that to happen. Even the 1998 Cup Finals team didn't create the stir this team has created. The Caps were good that year, but I don't think anybody expected greatness out of that team. Running head on into a 1998 version of the red army Soviet team didn't help. Fedorov, Konstantinov, blahblahblahov, and two other -ovs swept us away handily.

This team is different. Years of greatness are expected so hopefully years of good blogging is to come. The number one reason why I've decided to start sharing my thoughts and opinions is to create conversation. In fact, if you read my post I actually hope you disagree. Leave comments and tell me why you disagree. I am going to post my favorite comments for everybody to see. The purpose of this is debate and conversation. The Caps will not always be the topic. I enjoy everything hockey. So if it has to do with hockey, you'll find it here. Let the fun begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment