Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Rumor: Kovalchuk Getting an Extention

I promised "All Things Hockey", so here it goes:

I have not heard confirmation yet, but word has it that Ilya Kovalchuk is about to sign a monster deal to remain with the Atlanta Thrashers. I am hearing $11.3 million per year. Kovalchuk is slated to become an unrestricted free agent after the '09-'10 season. This is bad news for the rest of the Southeast Division, but great news for Atlanta. I feel the NHL will reap the benefits because a top 10 player in the world will remain the anchor of a young developing team in a less than stellar hockey market. Let's face it, Atlanta isn't exactly a hockey hot bed. Did the signing of Nik Antropov have anything to do with this? It wouldn't surprise me one bit. Antropov provides a huge body in the middle and has proved he can be a very effective scorer in the NHL. He plays the power play as well. Atlanta also needed some depth at the Center position. So things are looking up the Atlanta.

2 comments:

  1. Atlanta has to keep Kovalchuk...he's been there since day one and if there is anyone that can be called a "franchise" player, it has to be him. You are right on the money with Antopov as well. Another factor there is that Antropov is a fellow Russian. They could definitley do some damage!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first saw the headline I read it as 'Konowalchuk'. I thought that was a bit steep for him.

    ReplyDelete