Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Heartbreaking Reminder

Take a look at this picture. This is heartbreaking reminder of what all Caps fans had to endure two months ago. A culmination of a decade of dominance by a rival unmatched by any other, at least in the eyes of Caps fans. A co-worker of mine, a Pittsburgh native, decided to have some fun at my expense and give me what looks to be a harmless, fluffy, cute little stuffed animal. It's not just any animal though, it is a penguin. And if your super diligent in eyeing this creature up and down you will see a special message across the front of his shirt. That's right, it is not just any penguin, it's a Pittsburgh Penguin. Although I regard this little joke as simply.....a joke, it propelled my thoughts into the past and forced me to reminisce on a season that was. It was a season full of promise and potential. It was a season that put the Capitals on almost every headline on any hockey publication. It was a rebirth of hockey in Washington. And it was because of this potential and promise that the game 7 loss last May was even more heartbreaking. Never have I watched a game of any kind in such silence. Watching a sporting event with my brother always consists of us trading stats and facts about our favorite teams or players, providing analysis as to how our team can perform better, or sarcastic remarks about which coaches should be fired. This was different though. This was our favorite team playing our most hated team in its most important game in a decade, and losing. It was like a punch to the stomach. An incredibly empty feeling. But the great thing about sports is there is always next year. Next year is something all fans have to look forward to.


So it is with next season that I hope to be given an opportunity. An opportunity to show my generous gift giving side that my co-worker showed me, but this time it will be an Eagle.


Go Caps!


1 comment:

  1. A bitter evening, very early morning, indeed. The fact that we were watching in the South of France didn't do much to lessen the pain.

    ReplyDelete